Do You Love
Charleston Like We Do?
As Bulldog Tours continues to grow...
offering Charleston’s best history, food and ghost tours, we are always hiring. If you love Charleston, you love meeting visitors and telling interesting stories, we should talk. Whether you’re looking for a part time weekend job or a full time career, you might be a great fit for our team.
What’s Important to
Us at Bulldog Tours?
Share your passion
Our passion for Charleston’s history, people, places, food, and culture inspires our desire to share it.
Our “business” is caring for people and sharing all we know about the place we love with them, and helping craft memories and experiences they’ll hopefully always remember. For us, kindness is the ultimate expression of service, and every day is an opportunity to share it.
Act with integrity
We strive to do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we strive to make them right.
We never stop learning
History infuses every story we tell, and because Charleston’s history is so complex, it continues to unfold. The more we learn, the better a tour experience with Bulldog becomes.
We’re serious about history, but we love to laugh
Sharing Charleston’s authentic history is a priority for our team, and making sure that guests have fun hearing those stories is also of utmost importance. We are so confident that our guests will have a positively memorable experience, we offer a Great Tour Guarantee.
What it’s Like to be a
I love being a guide with Bulldog because it gives me a chance to tell this city’s wonderful stories to others. Bulldog has been a great fit because they have given me a tremendous license to share these stories in my own unique way, while giving me the training and support to make sure my tours are historically accurate and compelling. The owner and management of Bulldog are Charleston, giving back and helping preserve the city we all love.
I have an absolute dream job! The beautiful city of Charleston is my office and I get to work with an awesome team of people who make you feel valued every day. The amount of support is unparalleled, from communication and training to continuing education. The tools and resources are readily available to help you succeed.
I love giving history tours for Bulldog! It is a perfect part time job, the hours are flexible, and management takes care of all of the coordination of tour groups. I enjoy showing off one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the country and it is a blast meeting people from all parts of the world.
Before I began as a tour guide I didn’t have much work experience other than raising four children. With perseverance, good study habits and the special coaching and the confidence Bulldog Tours provided, it made all the difference. I consider the helpful and friendly co-workers at Bulldog as my extended family.
What type of positions do we offer?
Charleston is a living classroom and walking tours are a fun, educational, and interactive way to learn about our rich history, culture, people, and places. Our history and culinary tours – and most of our ghost tours – are appropriate and engaging for all ages – from first grade through college and beyond.
Part-Time Tour Guides
Part-time Guides work a minimum of 8 hours a week with the potential of working 15 hours during our busiest seasons. Guides can become proficient in all categories of tours (history, ghost, food), or can specialize in one genre. Part-time guides can expect the following benefits:
- Full training, $15 an hour for training, then a standard rate per tour given
- In addition to regular rate of pay, tour guides have an opportunity to make tips on their tours
- If you are not already a licensed guide in the City of Charleston, we will pay for the perfect candidate to take his/her test to become certified
- A supportive, respectful, and professional company culture
- Continuing education resources and opportunities
Full-Time Tour Guides
Bulldog Tours also proudly offers a path to become a full-time professional tour guide. A generous salary, benefits and paid vacation are all included in this first-in-the-country opportunity. The program allows guides to be proficient in all tours offered by Bulldog ranging from ghost, history, culinary, and even specialty tours. Immersion into Charleston history and culture is an added element to this program by spending time each week on continuing to expand your knowledge base by reading, researching, and visiting historic sites around Charleston in addition to giving tours.
Front Office Staff
Our tour guides are able to focus on touring because our front desk team handles all of the details. Answering our phones, helping guests decide which tour is right for them and confirming reservations are among the important tasks of our front desk team.
How Do I Apply?
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Must be able to endure different weather conditions (tour guides)
- Must be able to pass a background and drug test
- All interested applicants should submit a resume and a short statement of why you would make a great tour guide. Additionally, tell us what you love most about Charleston.
- Want to jump to the front of the line? Submit a video of yourself telling a story. A story involving Charleston’s history would be fantastic, but you can tell us any story you’d like to share.
- Email your resume and helpful statement and/or video to our Tour Guide Manager, Andrew Kuhn, [email protected]
- If you think you’d be a good fit for one of our front desk positions, email a resume to Director of Operations, Catherine Wilhoit, [email protected]
- Include a cover letter and let us know why your skills and personality would be just right for our front desk.
With Every Tour, We Give Back.
We are practitioners of and believers in sustainable tourism. That means we invest a portion of all ticket proceeds back into the properties we tour. This ensures that the historically significant landmarks, structures, and sites, integral to Charleston’s charm and culture – these places we love and love to share – are preserved for future generations to enjoy. Since 2001, we’ve raised nearly $4.8 million for the restoration and preservation of the Old City Jail, Circular Church’s graveyard, the Old Exchange, Magnolia Cemetery, the USS Yorktown,and other significant local preservation projects.